Full-time position, six-month contract, with opportunity for renewal
Salary: $33,000 to $37,000
Position available immediately
The Northwest Scarborough Youth Committee (NWSYC) invites applications for the position of a Coordinator at the Northwest Scarborough Youth Centre. NWSYC is a consortium of non-profit and governmental agencies serving youth residing in Northwest Scarborough. The Centre strives to satisfy the social, educational and recreational needs of youth.
The coordinator is responsible for the planning, co-ordination and implementation of youth programs at the Youth Centre. The Northwest Scarborough Youth Committee provides strategic and policy direction and operational support. The Coordinator will, in collaboration with program partners, co-ordinate the provision of education, information and recreation services to program participants and work with the NSWYC to develop additional resources to support the programs. In addition, the Coordinator will supervise the volunteers and staff and will be responsible for other duties as assigned.
Accountability: Reports to Executive Director, South Asian Family Support Services
* Coordinate and participate in the planning, implementation, evaluation and strategic direction of youth programs
* Coordinate and schedule existing programs at the Youth Centre
* Develop operating norms and policies for Youth Centre programs that meet the assessed needs of the youth and develop work plans and priorities
* Maintain statistical records of centre-usage
* Identify new emerging needs of youth and convey the same to organizations running programs
* Identify and develop partnerships with youth organizations to offer their services at the Centre
* Outreach to youth in schools and the community to inform them of the programs being offered
* Prepare and manage the budget
* Ability to identify, access and mobilize community assets
* Make presentations to potential funders and other potential stakeholders to promote the Youth Centre
* Supervise, train and evaluate volunteers and staff
* May assist the Executive Director of SAFSS in preparing relevant reports and grants writing
A University degree/diploma in the human services field, which includes social work, recreation, child and family studies or the equivalent education and training that results in a well-developed knowledge of the social, recreational and educational needs of youth
* Previous experience with Youth Leadership and Mentoring
* Previous experience in recruitment, training and direct supervision
* Previous program management, including planning, implementation and evaluation
* Previous experience in preparing and managing budgets
Skills and Knowledge
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Excellent organizational and computer skills required (spreadsheet, word processing, database and Internet)
* Proven ability to work effectively with a culturally and linguistically diverse population
* Second language an asset (Chinese-Mandarin/Cantonese and/or South Asian languages)
* Proven ability to manage simultaneous tasks and set priorities
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
* Demonstrated ability in group facilitation and conflict resolution
Please submit resume and cover letter by 4:00 p.m. Friday, April 18, 2003.
South Asian Family Support Services
1200 Markham Road, Suite 214
Scarborough, ON M1H 3C3
Fax: (416) 431-7283
We thank all applicants for applying, however only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. References required at interview.
The North West Scarborough Youth Committee adheres to the principles of employment equity.