Effective as soon as possible
The North Bay & District Health Unit is currently inviting applications for a full-time management position. Reporting to the Director, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, you will serve as a member of the Management Team and will manage all chronic disease and injury prevention programs including (but not limited to) the following:
* Assist with strategic leadership, management and overall performance of public health programs in accordance with the Health Unit's mission and strategic directions
* Provide health promotion expertise to health unit programs including the areas of population based strategies, community development, public policy development, social marketing, media advocacy and the application of behaviour change theory
* Provide daily supervision to the chronic disease and injury prevention (CDIP) team including community health promoters, public health dietitians, public health nurses and program assistants
* Facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of operational plans for all CDIP programs based on best practice, scientific evidence, epidemiology, legislation and community need
* Support the integration of CDIP programs across the health unit and among related community programs
* Participate in program budget preparation, tracking and monitoring
* Prepare program related proposals and reports
* Formulate and implement policies and work instructions for accomplishment of program goals consistent with the Quality Assurance program.
* Master's degree in Health Promotion, Applied Health Science or related discipline, each coupled with at least three years experience in public health promotion programming and evaluation
* Minimum of three years of progressive experience at a managerial level including supervisory skills and labour relations
* Comprehensive knowledge of theories and principles of public health management with an emphasis on comprehensive health promotion programming including population based strategies
* Demonstrated success in policy and program development including use of needs assessment, applied research and health status information, budget preparation and program evaluation
* Thorough knowledge of best practice related to nutrition promotion, physical activity promotion, tobacco use prevention, heart health, substance abuse prevention, injury prevention and family abuse prevention programs and early detection of cancer strategies
* Fundamental working knowledge of healthy public policies including relevant acts and legislation such as the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Health Protection and Promotion Act, Mandatory Health Programs and Services Guidelines, as well as professional standards of practice for a variety of disciplines
* Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, leadership, facilitation, negotiation and public relation skills
* Demonstrated ability to maintain positive working relationships with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the health unit
* Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills including presentation skills
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to work flex hours as required
* Proficient in use of personal computer and related software
* A valid "G2" Ontario Driver's License and vehicle
Annual salary is $58,241 to $65,551 (currently under review), including an excellent benefit package.
The North Bay & District Health Unit is a dynamic public health agency employing approximately 90 staff and serving over 88,000 residents. The City of North Bay is conveniently located within four hours drive from Toronto and Ottawa. The area offers excellent affordable housing, including lakefront property in both an urban and rural setting and four season recreational opportunities. The combination of lush forests, many lakes and clean air creates a healthy environment for working, living and raising a family. There is also access to a local post secondary campus with a community college (Canadore) and university (Nipissing) on one site.
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume and cover letter to
North Bay & District Health Unit
(Reference Job Title)
681 Commercial Street
North Bay, ON P1B 4E7
Applications must be received by November 14, 2003, 4:00 p.m.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.