Through its information work, Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) promotes health and safety in the workplace in Canada. The Health and Safety Products and Services Group undertakes projects and develops databases relating to occupational health and safety. CCOHS is the Workplace Health Affiliate partner of the Canadian Health Network (CHN)http://www.canadian-health-network.ca. In this role, CCOHS supports the CHN Operational Centre and Regional Operating Partners by providing expert advice and responding directly to consumer and health intermediary inquiries on Workplace Health. CCOHS is part of a distributed network of organizations identifying, developing and selecting resources in both official languages using different modes of access.
The Information Coordinator, as a member of the project team, is responsible for cataloguing identified resources on Workplace Health for inclusion into the CHN Web site and for providing assistance and expertise to the project in building a resource of health information available through the Internet.
1. With the Content Specialist, develops and maintains processes used to review the existing CHN Web site content on Workplace Health and to identify gaps in the content of the Web site, searches on the WWW to identify relevant materials and makes recommendations for the inclusion of materials as part of the CHN Web site to fill gaps of information or provide new information. Uses and maintains Collection Development Strategy.
2. Catalogues Workplace Health materials into common databases, using
established standards. Ensures the acquisition, categorization, storage and dissemination of current, accurate and relevant information. Follows and develops mechanisms and procedures for maintaining the currency of health information resources on Workplace Health.
3. Develops and provides support for the electronic communication
mechanisms between CCOHS and a network of organizations providing
health promotion and disease prevention information on Workplace Health, to facilitate regular communication and partnership development.
4. Other duties as assigned.
The incumbent reports to the Project Manager responsible for this project. The incumbent works closely with the Content Specialist and other project staff and receives direction from the Project Manager and the Manager, Health and Safety Products and Services. The incumbent is accountable for identifying and cataloguing resources on Workplace Health for inclusion into the CHN web site, in consultation with the Content Specialist and following established CHN guidelines and standards.
Post secondary diploma in library science or library techniques and/or
experience as a cataloguer or indexer or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
The position requires excellent searching skills, particularly on the WWW, in order to find materials related to workplace health. The incumbent must follow the guidelines and standards established by CHN to decide on the relevancy of materials. This may require consultation with the Project Manager and/or the Content Specialist. There are regular contacts with other CHN affiliates and Health Canada for operational matters.
Type of Experience Required
* Experience with computers, electronic mail, the Internet, word processing and databases (preferably Filemaker), HTML coding.
Knowledge of workplace health, health promotion, the determinants of health, community and consumer issues, and the non-profit health care sector.
* Ability to organize and disseminate information clearly and concisely, and to seek out new information quickly and efficiently.
Demonstrated initiative in taking on new projects and multi-tasking in a rapidly changing environment.
* Ability to work in English and French is an asset.
Salary and Benefits:
Status: Contract position. Please note that this is a term position until March 31, 2004, with the possibility of extension to December 2004.
Salary: Within the range of $44,028 to $55,034 per annum (CCOHS 07)
Application Deadline: Wednesday, November 19, 2003
How and Where To Apply:
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume, quoting File Ref No H-T02 OHPE to
Human Resources and Compensation Specialist
135 Hunter Street East
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 1M5
Please visit our Web site at http://www.ccohs.ca/ for further information.