The contracted project researcher will work with the project steering committee to conduct a multi-scale inventory of community supports and barriers that impact families' ability to adopt healthy behaviours (being physically active, eating well, living smoke-free). In addition, the researcher will conduct interviews with agencies identified through the inventory process. The results and analysis of this research will direct the ongoing development of our committee's goals and objectives.
Health for Life is currently seeking submissions from individuals or firms interested in conducting community research in Northumberland County.
Health for Life is a community partnership of agencies and individuals committed to the prevention of chronic disease in the counties of Northumberland, Haliburton and the City of Kawartha Lakes.
The successful candidate will
1) Conduct an inventory of available community resources in order to develop a comprehensive list of Northumberland County agencies that provide families with opportunities for physical activity and healthy lifestyle choices
2) Develop an appropriate interview tool to assess the accessibility and diversity of healthy lifestyle programs offered by identified Northumberland County agencies and organizations
3) Conduct telephone and/or in-person interviews with representatives of identified Northumberland County agencies and organizations
4) Complete analysis of interview data
5) Conduct an on-sight inventory of physical and community characteristics (parks, trails, community centers, etc.) of two identified Northumberland communities
6) Provide a report of results and recommendations in both written and electronic formats by December 17, 2004
Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in the following:
* Working collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders on a community-based research project
* Conducting qualitative research in community settings
* Developing comprehensive qualitative interview tools
* Conducting various types of qualitative interviews with research participants
* Analyzing and interpreting qualitative research data
In addition, the successful candidate will
* Possess excellent communication skills (verbal, active listening, and written)
* Prepare clear and realistic project timelines
* Possess superior time management skills
* Understand the diverse needs and perspectives of Health for Life community partners
The project steering committee will provide
* Health for Life background information and resources relevant to the development of a comprehensive research proposal
* Mileage remuneration for the qualitative researcher to attend interviews
Respondents are requested to provide
1) A letter of interest that includes proposed processes, timelines and costs of the research project
2) A resume outlining education and experience relevant to this study
3) Names and contact information for three references who can be contacted regarding experience relevant to this study
4) Expected remuneration (including GST, if applicable)
The lowest or any proposal will not necessarily be accepted.
Proposals must be received by 4:00 p.m., Friday, July 30, 2004, and should be sent to
Health for Life Coordinator
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
200 Rose Glen Road
Port Hope, ON L1A 3V6
Tel: (905) 885-9100 x264
Fax: (905) 885-9551
Please quote competition #HFLN1.