This is an exciting time to join the Public Health Division in the City of Toronto and make your contribution in this key role.
* Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements
* Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others
* Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests
* Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments. In conjunction with the program manager, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary
* Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within the approved budget limitations
* Plans, implements and evaluates program policies and procedures, and develops and implements Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Indicators for the TB program
* Ensures that cases, contacts, persons on medical surveillance and TB-infected persons on chemoprophylaxis are identified, traced, assessed and treated as per the "Canadian Tuberculosis Standards, 2000" and the Mandatory Health Programs and Services Guidelines
* Ensures the TB Prevention and Control Program is compliant with relevant legislation and standards, (e.g., College of Nurses of Ontario, Regulated Health Care Professionals Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Child and Family Services Act, the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Workplace Harassment, Occupational Health and Safety, and Confidentiality)
* Supervises nursing activities, assesses performance and provides ongoing consultation, direction and guidance to staff as they relate to TB prevention, case management, contact follow up and prevention activities
* Provides expert guidance as required to health professionals, internal (police, fire department, Emergency Medical Services, shelters) and external (hospitals, schools, federal and provincial governments and cultural communities) stakeholders and individuals
* Establishes networks and liaisons with staff/management from other programs, community agencies, governments and universities to negotiate/co-ordinate service partnerships, advocate for program needs and share expertise
* Develops, implements and evaluates TB prevention and control programs to ensure effective and efficient client services
* Analyzes and interprets statistical data to identify emerging TB epidemiological trends in the city
* Utilizes the communicable disease database, and ensures data entry is accurate for statistical analysis and interpretation
* Participates in the preparation of written reports and correspondence such as Board of Health reports, Sections 22 and 35 orders, and letters to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and Citizenship and Immigration Canada
1. Bachelor degree in Health or Social Science or the approved equivalent combination of education and experience
2. Current Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
3. Experience in the supervision and/or leadership of staff groups.
4. Knowledge of current issues in TB control
5. Considerable experience in client case management
6. Experience in working with relevant legislation and standards
7. Experience in Public Health or other relevant community experience
8. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals and organizations within the community, including physicians and health care facilities
9. Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
10. Excellent communication skills
11. Possession of a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and access to a vehicle
12. Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety
Job Status: Permanent
Salary: $ $58,978.66-$73,187.40
Applications must be received by June 20, 2005.
To apply for this position, please send us a resume and cover letter, quoting File # X5CNS7880, using one of the following methods:
Fax 416-397-9818 or
Email [email protected] or
Mail to Employment Services, Human Resources, City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 55 John Street, 5th Floor, Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City's Corporate Access & Privacy Office advises that sending personal information by fax may not be a secure means of transmission.