Direct Service & Community Development Focus
Full-time contract - one year (with the possibility of renewal)
The Pathways Project works within communities across the GTA to build capacity among existing service providers to identify and work with pregnant and parenting women with substance use problems and their children through the coordination and development of services that address both maternal addiction problems and the mother-child relationship. The project strives to build a staff group that reflects the ethno-racial and linguistic diversity of the communities being served. The individual hired for this position will be located at an agency within Etobicoke.
The individual hired for this position will
* Develop the capacity for collaboration and provision of effective supports/interventions to pregnant and parenting women and their children in relationship to addictions and early childhood development through training, consultation and coordination.
* Liaise with existing pregnancy/parent outreach initiatives to promote seamless and integrated services for women and their children.
* Build capacity for the provision of outreach to pregnant and parenting women with substance use concerns.
* Provide individual/group counselling, case management and referral to pregnant and parenting women with substance use concerns in collaboration with existing service providers.
* Provide support in collaboration with early childhood development workers for women and children to promote the healthy development of children.
* Participate in existing community and service networks.
* Experience working in community-based settings and familiarity with a community development approach
* Experience providing counselling, case management and outreach services to individuals who are experiencing or have experienced substance use and mental health issues
* Experience working from a Harm Reduction perspective
* Experience working with high needs pregnant and parenting women
* A working knowledge of the Child & Family Services Act
* Experience and/or interest in working with parents and children with special attention to the development of infants and children
* Ability to work independently with minimum day to day supervision.
* Bachelor level education in Social Work, Nursing, Psychology or the equivalent combination of education and experience, Master's degree preferred
* Three to five years experience in the field of addictions
* Knowledge of and/or experience working in the Etobicoke area is considered an asset
* Working knowledge of various languages is considered an asset
* Car will be an asset
Salary: $40,000-48,000 plus benefits
Please submit your resume by June 17, 2005, to
The Jean Tweed Centre
215 Evans Avenue
Toronto, ON M8Z 1J5
Attention: Lucy Hume
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.