Position Type: Contract - Part
The mission of the Council on Drug Abuse (CODA) is to prevent and
reduce substance abuse through education impacting children and youth.
CODA is a charitable, non-profit organization that has sponsored and
continues to sponsor preventive alcohol and other drug education
programs in schools for students, teachers and parents. Each year, CODA
touches the lives of thousands of students, teachers and parents in
Ontario and beyond. Case studies and testimonials bear this out. CODA
receives financial support from the Ontario Ministry of Health and
Long-Term Care. It also relies on foundations, corporations and
individuals to complement its program funding requirements.
CODA is currently recruiting Educators located throughout the province
of Ontario who are qualified to deliver substance abuse prevention
education to youth. CODA will provide program and education training to
all qualified candidates on March 1, 2 & 3, 2006 in Toronto - a
condition of application for one of these positions is your ability to
attend this training workshop. All related workshop expenses including
transportation to Toronto, accommodation and meals will be paid by CODA.
Contract position under the general direction of the Executive
Director, the Educator develops and conducts programs of substance
abuse prevention education for youth aged 12-18.
- Provides substance abuse prevention education in group settings
to assist youth (and those effecting youth) in understanding substance
- Trains youth (and those effecting youth) to deliver peer-to-peer substance abuse prevention education programs.
- Develops and conducts substance abuse prevention education
workshops, seminars and other outreach programs designed to educate
youth (and those effecting youth) population in matters related to
substance abuse prevention.
- Develops student-based volunteer peer education programs and
trains and supervises student volunteers recruited to assist in such
- Keeps informed of current developments and treatment programs in
the field of substance abuse and substance abuse prevention education
and maintains a network of professional contacts locally, nationally
- Maintains any necessary files and records.
- Serves as a resource and consultant to CODA.
- Evaluates effectiveness of substance abuse prevention education
programs and institutes changes or recommends major changes to the
- Attends informative, internal meetings as required.
- Complete 3-Day CODA Educator training program "Drugs & the
Brain: A Neuro-Developmental Approach" (March 1, 2 & 3, 2006,
Toronto, Expenses Paid)
- Post-Secondary degree in education, counselling, addiction services, public health or other related field
- At least 5 years experience working with substance abuse in an education setting
- Fluent bi/multi-lingual language (English must be one) skills--written & spoken--not mandatory but preferred
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Must provide valid BIN/GST registration information
- Must provide 3 professional references
- Must provide police reference report (criminal record check) not
to exceed 30-day validation date--if a criminal record exists, further
extensive investigation will be required before we will proceed with
- Excellent writing, presentation and consultation skills
- Strong team abilities required
Job Contact Information
Executive Director, Council on Drug Abuse
For more information visit http://www.drugabuse.ca.