The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse (OPC) is Ontario's leading
bilingual prevention and health promotion organization, providing
information, education, consultation and networking services in French
and English province-wide. Please see our website for more
OPC is seeking a communications specialist to develop and implement a
communications strategy; to promote OPC and other health promotion
services; to engage in media and policy outreach; and to help develop
communications capacity among OPC staff. This is a two-year contract
position, full-time (35 hours per week). Fluency in English and French
is strongly preferred. Location of work is Toronto (an alternative
location may be negotiable).
- Develop communications strategy/plan.
- Coordinate revision of promotional products (e.g. brochures,
fliers) and external communications products for print and electronic
use, including writing, editing and overseeing visual design.
- Write and/or edit new stories and op-ed articles, promotional materials, backgrounders, etc.
- Develop promotional/information packages (e.g. introductions to
media; promotion of prevention and health promotion to opinion leaders
and policy makers; promotion of health promotion services to target
audiences); disseminate packages.
- Develop media contacts; compile list of opinion leaders and policy makers; enter into database.
- Provide prompt, accurate information, and story ideas to the media.
- Update OPC brand guidelines.
- Design and implement staff training; work closely with staff to
build communications skills, knowledge and effective practices.
- Support the webmaster to ensure that websites fully support OPC's
communications strategies and are effectively integrated into
programs/services; help target and support use of new communications
mechanisms in service delivery (e.g. web conferencing).
- Degree or training in public relations, marketing, communications
or related field, or equivalent combination of experience and training;
and a minimum of two years experience in communications or media
- Preference will be given to candidates with excellent oral and written profiency in both English and French
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task; strong attention to detail and good problem solving skills
- Experience working successfully within a team and self-directed; must be a self-starter
- Effective written, editorial and speaking communication and
interpersonal skills, including ability to access and work effectively
with variety of media and communication forms. Should exhibit sound and
popular writing style. Competent with word processing, email,
internet/intranet application. Ability to respond to sensitive
- Demonstrates sound judgement; ability to analyze and interpret complex documents and situations.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume, in both English and French, in confidence by April 6, 2006, to
Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z8
Fax: (416) 408-2122
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an
interview will be contacted. OPC is an equal opportunity