The Ontario HIV Treatment Network (OHTN) Cohort Study is seeking a
dynamic individual for the position of Data Quality Specialist. This
study is sponsored by the OHTN, a non-profit organization, whose
mission is to optimize the quality of life of people living with HIV in
Ontario, and to promote excellence and innovation in treatment,
research, education and prevention through a collaborative network of
consumers, providers, researchers, and government policy-makers.
As part of the OHTN's Strategic Plan to 2010, "Advancing HIV Policy and
Practice Through a Network of Excellence" (see www.ohtn.on.ca), one of
the major objectives is to support and collect data on a sufficiently
large and clinically meaningful cohort of people living with HIV in
Ontario to lead to research results that will improve HIV policies and
care. This longitudinal, multi-centered, observational clinical cohort
study currently consists of 4,000 people living with HIV in Ontario.
Innovative and exciting changes are currently underway to further build
this clinical cohort by adding primary data collection (ex.
socio-behavioural and quality of life questionnaires) to increase the
utility of the cohort to investigate new avenues of research. The
incumbent will work closely with the OHTN Cohort Study Manager to
assess the quality of data and to develop strategies to overcome data
discrepancies and inconsistencies within the OHTN Cohort study.
The incumbent will also be responsible for the development of training
resources and for training site representatives on best practices for
clinical and socio-behavioural data collection and for administering
The ideal candidate will have a unique combination of skills and abilities including:
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience and/or knowledge relating to HIV/AIDS, including social, psychological, and clinical issues
- An experienced data management specialist with specific
experience in manual and electronic methods of clinical data
- Knowledgeable and/or experienced in medical or academic research and observational databases
- Knowledge of the confidentiality issues impacting the data management of medical information
- Experience and competency in good clinical practice guidelines
- Knowledge/experience with Tri-Council Policy Statement
- Knowledge of coding systems (ex. ICD and WHOART) to ensure proper use of systems in data collection
- A results orientation and capability to balance multiple priorities while delivering results consistently
- A degree or diploma in a relevant discipline or an appropriate combination of relevant experience and education
- Basic statistical skills
- Computer skills including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, database and statistical software
- Knowledge of programming language would be an asset
- Able to establish and build credible working relationships OHTN staff and the medical and research communities.
- A skilled communicator who is able to effectively represent the OHTN.
- A progressive individual who is able to embrace the nature of the
OHTN's work and ensure the appropriate level of inclusiveness in
The OHTN is committed to employment equity and encourages applications
from persons living with HIV/AIDS, visible minorities and persons with
culturally diverse backgrounds.
For immediate, confidential consideration, please forward your resume
and cover letter by April 15, 2006, via fax or e-mail only to
The Ontario HIV Treatment Network
1300 Yonge Street, Suite 308
Toronto, ON M4T 1X3
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.