Reports to: Manager, Professional Education
Department: Research, Advocacy and Health Promotion
Status: Permanent full-time
With the guidance of the Manager, Professional
Education, the Outreach and Practice Support Specialist is responsible
for the coordination of activities associated with the healthcare
provider (primary care physicians, nurses/nurse practitioners, and
community pharmacists) components of the High Blood Pressure (HBP)
Strategy Provider Management Initiative (PMI). The Outreach and
Practice Support Specialist will also work closely with the project's
key pharmacist partner, the Ontario Pharmacists' Association
(OPA). A major component of this work will involve the building
and management of both internal and external relationships with the
providers named above, but primarily within the context of pharmacy so
as to respond to any internal pharmacy-related issues, and to
facilitate participation of recruited providers in all aspects of the
PMI. In addition, the Outreach and Practice Support Specialist
will assist in the development of related tools & interventions,
and provide a Quality Improvement (QI) and change management
perspective to the overall PMI. Another responsibility of the Outreach
and Practice Support Specialist is to coordinate the ethics review
process for the PMI at large. The development and application of
operational skill sets in working within the PMI, in areas such as
knowledge exchange and adult behaviour change principles, will be
instrumental in identifying/reporting any barriers and enablers to
achieving overall project outcomes.
Pharmacist Recruitment and Orientation
Recruit community pharmacists using tools/resource materials developed
by HSFO, as well as leveraging existing networks through OPA, recruited
physician groups, and current pharmacist participants.
- Assist in the development of any additional tools/resources to be included in the pharmacist communication package.
Oversee pharmacist orientation for all recruited sites, and manage this
orientation at the sites assigned to the Outreach and Practice Support
Relationship Development and Management
Continue to develop relationships with all participants, including
pharmacists as outlined in orientation above, to ensure ongoing
dialogue and support.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with OPA and other pharmacist bodies as appropriate.
Develop and manage healthcare provider relationships at HBP Strategy
PMI sites as appropriate, with a focus on the pharmacists, including
training sessions for the adoption and use of tools and interventions
developed as part of the Initiative.
- Work closely with HBP Strategy PMI team members in the implementation and ongoing improvement of these tools and interventions.
- Facilitate communication channels among all implicated healthcare professionals.
- Assist in design and implementation of inter-professional communication tools and interventions for pharmacists.
Additional HBP Strategy PMI Responsibilities
- Assist in the team's development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of PMI tools, interventions, and programming.
Collect and analyze data and information from all sites to identify and
drive quality improvement, implementation and evaluation of PMI tools.
Facilitate quality improvement and change management at all sites,
including the uptake of tools and interventions via site visits and
academic detailing. Also gather feedback from all participants at
all assigned sites (including administrative staff) and provide them
- Coordinate ethics review process for the overall PMI.
- Communicate (verbal and written) and collaborate effectively with internal/external team members and stakeholders.
As with Relationship Management above, develop and maintain strong
working relationships with healthcare professionals, with an attention
to inter-professional relationships, in particular with pharmacists and
- Work effectively with and through volunteers.
Collaborate with Manager of Professional Education, Associate Manager
of Professional Education, and Evaluation Specialist in the execution
and continuous improvement of knowledge exchange applications for the
HBP Strategy PMI.
- Develop and apply knowledge exchange and adult behaviour change principles specific to Continuing Health Education (CHE).
Other Roles This Position Works With
- Interactive role with HBP Strategy's Provider Management Advisory Group (MAG).
- Interactive role with various Foundation departments/individuals interested in the pharmacist perspective.
- Participatory role in HBP Strategy cross-functional staff team.
- Interactive role with various HBP Strategy PMI expert consultants (e.g. behaviour change) as appropriate.
- Possible barriers in participant recruitment (e.g. established relationships with non-participant providers/patient base).
- Potential resistance to uptake of tools and interventions (e.g. available time issues).
- Project is dynamic with potential for frequent changes.
Managing Personal Effectiveness
- Accountability for results
- Self-motivated through focused attention on achieving goals while positively supporting the needs & goals of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve and surpass targets.
- Enjoys multi-tasking in fast paced environment.
- Superior organizational skills in planning, executing, & evaluating programs.
- Communicating effectively
- Able to convincingly articulate messaging to healthcare professionals both orally and in writing.
- Able to negotiate and persuade comfortably with healthcare professionals.
Uses influence and personal savvy to:
- Build and maintain effective relationships with healthcare professionals, especially pharmacists.
- Build and maintain strong and fruitful relationships with PMI key partners (i.e. OPA) and other official bodies as required.
Managing the Business
- Demonstrates customer focus in anticipating pharmacists' needs and concerns.
- Able to troubleshoot/solve problems/manage conflict effectively.
- Strong team player
- Takes initiative/self-starter
- Familiar with pharmacists and their environment
- Knowledge in Quality Improvement, Continuing Education, Knowledge Exchange/Adult Learning Principles, primary healthcare issues
- Effective under pressure
- Significant travel required
- Knowledge of hypertension and volunteer management experience would be assets
- Windows 97: Word, Excel and PowerPoint efficiency
Please send resumes to
1920 Yonge Street, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M4S 3E2