Internal/external Job Posting
One Year Term, Full-Time (Maternity Leave Replacement)
The Community Developer is responsible for working with community
members in the Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC) catchment area
on issues that affect their health and well being. These issues include
determinants of health such as poverty, unemployment and social
isolation. The Community Developer works with the community to identify
needs and capacities develop strategies and implement action.
Strategies include community organizing, community networking, building
community networks, coalition-building and political lobbying.
- Master's degree in health or social science, or equivalent.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in community development.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of community development including
an understanding of the interactive relationship of the personal and
the socio-political determinants of health.
- Demonstrated ability to work with community groups to support self- help.
- Experience working with people on low income.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with specific expertise in group facilitation.
- Experience in political lobbying and advocacy.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience working with a variety of groups such as seniors, youth, families, multi-cultural etc.
- Experience working with a variety of community issues, e.g. unemployment, homelessness, safety, addictions, sex trade etc.
- Proficient with Windows based computer systems, MS Word, e-mail and databases
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Also, verbal communication skills in French is preferred
Start date: August 7, 2006
Salary range: $46,314 to $55,800
How to "express an interest" for this opportunity
Write a letter of interest (up to 2 word processed pages in English)
telling us why you would like to become a Community Developer with the
Community Health Promotion Team and how you meet the requirements of
this position. Submit your letter of interest along with your
résumé on or before June 16, 2006, to
Centretown Community Health Centre
420 Cooper Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 2N6
Fax: (613) 233-3987
The job description is available from reception weekdays 9 a.m.-4:30
p.m. We regret only candidates selected for an interview will be
contacted. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values
diversity in its workforce.
Building healthier communities...together