3 year, full time contract
Salary Range: $35,000 to $38,500
Volunteer Program Capacity Builder to support the "Rural Volunteer
Capacity Development Initiative" of Country Roads Community Health
Centre and North Lanark County Community Health Centre
Reports to Health Promotion Program Coordinator - Country Roads Community Health Centre
To increase the capacity of the CHC volunteers and staff (and,
where feasible, other non-profit agencies in the respective communities
of north Leeds and north Lanark) by training and supporting volunteers
and training and supporting staff to work effectively with
volunteers. The volunteer training component should use
participatory adult education principles to address, as a minimum,
effective communication skills, conflict resolution, group dynamics,
group decision-making tools and techniques, working in a diverse and
inclusive way, and working with strong emotions in a group.
Summary of Activities and Duties
- Working within the framework of the respective CHC's volunteer
program policies and procedures, develop a training program for
volunteers to become leaders and/or co-facilitators of CHC and
community-based events and programs.
- Gather and compile information from other community health
centres and related agencies regarding similar program models, designs
- Develop and implement a staff training component to assist staff to work with volunteers.
- Consult with staff to develop the Volunteer Training Program:
which programs and services are suitable for volunteer co-facilitators,
what additional supports and resources do staff require to engage in
work with volunteers.
- Develop recruitment, training and evaluation materials for the Volunteer Training Program in consultation with staff.
- Where feasible, work with community members and community
organizations to include their needs, interests, and wishes into the
- Recommend the development and/or revision of policies as required.
- Deliver the Volunteer Training Program using participatory adult education principles.
- Promote community and individual capacity building opportunities for volunteers.
- Develop an evaluation component for the training program that
incorporates existing tools. Ensure evaluations are completed on all
aspects of the program.
- Oversee the grant proposal and other internal reporting requirements.
- Provide leadership on the development and implementation of an advisory committee to guide this initiative.
- Post-secondary education, preferably a Volunteer Management Certificate, or related experience
- Strong group facilitation, participatory adult-education, and community development skills and experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Experience/ knowledge of rural communities
Applicants must submit a 1-3 page point form attachment with their
resumé by June 12, 2006, demonstrating how their previous skills and
experience correspond to the above qualifications. A valid driver's
license and vehicle are required.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position but regret
that only those invited for an interview will receive an