Public Interest is a research, community development and communications
firm working in Toronto since 2002. We specialize in reaching out
to at-risk, multilingual communities, helping them to identify their
priorities and developing ways to address them, and in assisting
organizations in planning and implementing complex initiatives.
The Public Interest team has nine members operating out of a main
office in downtown Toronto and a satellite office in Scarborough.
The nature of our work involves engaging people from diverse
backgrounds (including our staff team, our clients, and the communities
we serve) in ways that are equitable and inclusive, requiring skills
and perspectives that may not always be recognized by traditional
employers. We value these skills in any position at Public
Public Interest is seeking a detail-oriented team player with strong
interpersonal skills who has the ability to act as the Executive
Assistant to the President of Public Interest, as well as providing
assistance with business and project coordination.
Reporting directly to the President of Public Interest, you will
organize and monitor key processes, including organizing project
development meetings and project costing, assisting with client
relations, monitoring work planning, and tracking finances. This
position will also be responsible for managing the schedule for the
President and for some communications activities and overseeing the
main office's administrative assistant.
- Organizing project development meetings and assisting in the
development of project plans and proposals, in partnership with
relevant Project Managers
- Client relations, including arranging project agreements with
partners and clients, with assistance and direction from relevant
- Maintaining an ongoing assessment of the project plans and work
plans and identifying areas of high and low intensity for review by the
- Monitoring and reporting on financial matters for senior staff,
issuing invoices and following up with clients on financial matters
- Arranging meetings and appointments for the President of Public Interest
- Reviewing and editing high priority documents
- Developing and circulating marketing materials, as identified by the Public Interest team
- Significant work experience in managing many complex and detailed
senior administrative duties (please note that experience from outside
of Canada is as valued as Canadian experience)
- Strong project coordination and organizational skills with the
ability to priorize, schedule and perform complex tasks with minimum
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to demonstrate good judgment in interpersonal relations
- Aptitude in managing finances (e.g., budgeting and projections)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Internet Explorer
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project is an asset
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Resourceful problem-solver who takes initiative
- People oriented, friendly with a professional attitude and suited to working in a team
Hours: 40 hours per week (occasional evening and weekend work)
Salary Range: $40,000-$55,000 depending on experience
This position will begin in mid-August.
Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit cover letters and résumés to Gillian MacLachlan by 12
noon, Monday, July 15, 2006, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax
(416-531-7210). Please indicate where you heard of this position.
Interviews will be conducted on the week of July 17 and July 24,
2006. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest and
apologize that we are only able contact those candidates who are
invited for interviews.