The University of Ottawa Health Services (http://www.uOttawa.ca/health) is
seeking a Health Educator to work within the Health Promotion Program.
The Health Educator position is newly created with the purpose of
increasing evidence based practice through assessment and evaluation.
In addition, the incumbent will be integral in the development of new
programs to suit student needs and support the University's mission.
In collaboration with the Health Promotion Manager, Peer Education
Coordinator, International Health Coordinator, and Health Services
Director, the Health Educator is responsible for developing,
implementing, and coordinating needs assessments and program evaluation
in addition to reporting on program performance. The Health Educator's
role includes providing leadership and support to the following
individuals: Student Interns and Health Advocates. The incumbent
is responsible for planning work-shops, writing seasonal newsletters,
out-reach initiatives and researching health information for program
content revisions. The incumbent advocates in the best interest of
students while professionally representing Health Services.
Summary of Scope of Duties
- Conduct campus health needs and risk assessments in
order to contribute to priority setting for programs to identify unmet
needs and to evaluate effectiveness of ALL Health Promotion programs
and initiatives (Peer Education, Resource Centre, On-line programs,
Workshops, Newsletter, Physical Activity, International Health, etc.).
- Reporting on evaluation results and Health Promotion Program performance.
- Planning monthly skill building workshops.
- Research and writing articles for a seasonal newsletter.
- Establishing a Peer Health Advocate program.
Deliver workshops, in-service trainings and other educational programs
consistent with health enhancement, health promotion and risk reduction
objectives to staff, faculty and students.
- Supervising interns and co-op students.
- Research and literature reviews for program strategies and health information
- Establishing campus health coalitions, partnerships, and/or collaborations.
- Other responsibilities as directed by Health Promotion Program Manager.
- Bilingual (French/English)--Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A master's degree in a health related field.
Minimum two years experience with assessment and evaluation processes
as it relates to health promotion programs, specifically in
college/university environment is desirable.
Ability to prepare and deliver educational programs and materials in
areas such as but not limited to: substance use and abuse, general
nutrition, fitness, stress management, interpersonal violence, sexual
health, media and health, and public health advocacy.
- Experience with international health and development issues.
- Experience working in outreach and peer programs, including mentoring/teaching students.
Salary: Please send resume and cover letter stating salary expectations.
Commensurate with experience, educational background and bilingual
Position is contract full-time (12 months). Permanency
is planned for the following year.
To apply, send letter of application, resume/vita, and names, addresses and phone
numbers of two current professional references who have supervised you
or have direct knowledge of your work, to
Health Promotion Program Manager
Health Services, University of Ottawa
85 University, Room 203, Jock Turcot Building
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Review of complete applications will begin on September 13, 2006,
however, applications will be accepted until the position is