The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit has an opening for
a temporary (one-year) Tobacco Youth Advisor in our Brockville
Office. The Youth Advisor will be responsible for ensuring that
local youth initiatives are carried out in accordance with the
directives of the Ontario Tobacco Strategy (OTS) and the Ministry of
Health Promotion. They will be responsible for the development and
maintenance of local Youth Action Alliance(s). Activities will be
conducted with schools, community members and organizations, tobacco
sales clerks and store owners about tobacco control issues, health
impacts, and tobacco industry marketing.
The Youth Advisor
will also assume a lead role in conjunction with the Tobacco
Coordinator in the development, implementation and evaluation of Twelve
(12) month plans for local Youth Action Alliance(s). The Youth
Advisor will work closely with the Regional Youth Specialist and Peer
Leaders in tobacco control programming associated with the Youth Action
Alliance(s) and high school grants.
Flexible working hours may be required.
Hourly Rate: $17.50 per hour (35 hours per week)
Visit our website at http://www.healthunit.org/ to learn more about us.
- Baccalaureate degree or diploma in Community Health Sciences or other related discipline;
- One (1) to two (2) years experience in a similar role;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Experience working with youth, especially high school age;
- Experience in public speaking, conducting workshops and
organizing promotions and displays, preferably in the areas of tobacco
control or youth mobilization;
- Experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating health programming;
- Demonstrated ability to encourage initiatives developed by youth and to foster youth development and leadership;
- Demonstrated knowledge, commitment and skill in the application of youth empowerment and positive development theory;
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- This position requires a valid driver's licence, proof required after hire;
- A car is required for this position;
- Criminal records check.
Resumes with covering letter must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, September 25, 2006.
Director, Corporate Services
Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
458 Laurier Boulevard
Brockville, ON K6V 7A3
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with our
agency; unfortunately we will only be contacting those candidates
selected for an interview.