The new TAIBU Community Health Centre (CHC) will be a community-based,
non-profit organization that provides high-quality, cost effective,
culturally competent primary health care services, health promotion
programs, and programs and initiatives that enhance the community
capacity. Located in the Malvern community in Scarborough, the TAIBU
CHC will focus on keeping people healthy and on ensuring that health
issues are diagnosed early and treated appropriately to improve the
overall health of the individuals, families, and communities that it
serves. TAIBU CHC will have the expertise to serve racialized and
The Health Promoter will be responsible for working directly with
various communities and community agencies to identify community health
needs; to develop, implement and evaluate health promotion
programs/activities; and to ensure broad community engagement,
participation and ownership of these programs. The Health Promoter will
focus on identifying the systemic issues affecting health and
recommending appropriate responses to minimize their affect on the
community that will be served by TAIBU CHC.
Strong candidates will have
- At least two years work or volunteer experience in a health
promotion or community development position working in a culturally and
racially diverse community-based setting.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline or combination of education and significant work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources, health promotion and the social determinants of health.
- Ability to work effectively with community residents on health and social service issues.
- Awareness of public health policies and their impact on marginalized and racialized communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proven leadership, consultation and collaborative skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software
applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations
- Knowledge of the Malvern community is an asset.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
The full-time contract for this position will commence in October 2006
and run to March 31, 2007. A competitive salary and benefits will
be offered based on qualifications and experience.
Please send your résumé and expression of interest to
email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on October 6, 2006. Applicants
from racialized and marginalized communities are strongly encouraged.
No telephone inquires please. The TAIBU CHC Implementation Committee
thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those persons
selected for an interview will be contacted.