Street Health is seeking an energetic, mature, self directed and
flexible Registered Nurse to complete our remarkable staff team.
Purpose of Position
- To assess and respond appropriately to the health concerns of
people who are homeless or inadequately housed in accordance with
the mission and philosophy of Street Health.
- To actively promote the social determinants of health as they relate to homeless people and other disadvantaged groups.
- Provide nursing care to clients during clinic hours and outside clinic hours when appropriate.
- Make appropriate referrals to community agencies and health
care practitioners and accompany clients to appointments if
- Advocate for individual clients with health care providers, government officials, etc.
- Initiate and/or participate in systemic advocacy strategies that address inequalities faced by people who are homeless.
- Develop and foster relationships with community agencies and participate in community events as required.
- Contribute to the overall program and policy directions of Street Health.
- Supervise volunteers and students as required and designated.
- Participate in the orientation of new staff and volunteers.
- Participate in the education of students, staff members,
community health care institutions and community agencies
regarding issues of poverty, accessible and appropriate health
care for the Street Health community.
- Provide support and consultation to other staff members.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of statistical data.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills Needed
- A sound knowledge of and experience in nursing practice along
with competent clinical skills in assessing and treating clients
needs. Minimum two years general nursing experience.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of mental illnesses and treatment modalities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the determinants of health as they
relate to our target population (impact of poverty, lack of
affordable housing, discrimination etc).
- Experience advocating for clients, individually and at a systemic level.
- Knowledge of the community and familiarity with health care agencies and resources in the area.
- An above average ability for oral and written communication is essential.
- Recent experience working in a community setting preferred.
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Availability to work some flexible hours during the week
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Accountability: This position is directly accountable to the Executive Director.
Deadline for applications: Friday, December 29, 2006, 5:00 p.m., to
338 Dundas Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 2A1
Fax: (416) 921-5233
Street Health is committed to developing a workforce that is
reflective of the communities we serve. We thank all applicants
but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
[Source: CLICK4HP, http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html]