Sherbourne Health Centre is a free-standing health centre funded by the
Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. The Centre provides
innovative primary health care to all the diverse populations of
southeast Toronto with special focus on homeless people, the lesbian,
gay, bisexual, transsexual and transgendered communities, and newcomers
The LGBTT Primary Health Care Program provides medical and nursing
care, counselling, support groups, parenting resources, workshops and
community health promotion, as well as opportunities for education and
The RN works with other health care providers to provide nursing care
to a wide range of individuals and families from the LGBTT
communities. Delivering preventative, treatment, and health
education services the nurse assists clients to access relevant
services and coordinates the delivery of sensitive care.
- Provides culturally competent, comprehensive nursing assessments
and administers appropriate treatment/course of action based upon this
- Works collaboratively with other team members to develop and
implement treatment plans that offer client-centred that meets the
special needs of LGBTT communities.
- Provides wellness care to adults and children with a focus on
screening, health education, referrals and the promotion of healthy,
informed self-care practices.
- Offers supportive counselling and case management services to clients with mental health issues
- Plans, implements, and evaluates health education or chronic
disease management programs that are relevant to the issues and context
of LGBTT communities.
- Provides triage services and follow-up care to clients by
telephone or in-person, making referrals to other practitioners or
community services as needed.
- Works collaboratively with other SHC staff and community
organizations to improve client care, service delivery, and
- Acts as a preceptor for students and participates in training and education initiatives
- Participates in relevant networks, research activities and community events.
- Current Registration with the Ontario College of Nurses in the General Class, BScN preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of LGBTT community health issues and
relevant local organizations together with experience in a primary care
or community health setting
- Experience or interest in mental health issues and gender transition.
- Commitment to collaborative practice with a wide range of professionals and an anti-oppression approach.
- Experience using computers and electronic charting an asset
This position is primarily regular days but may include some evening
and Saturday work. We offer competitive compensation and
benefits, including participation in the Hospitals of Ontario Pension
Plan (HOOPP) and professional development.
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an
organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the
communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages
spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please
forward a letter of interest and resume
Sherbourne Health Centre
365 Bloor Street East #301
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Fax: (416) 324-4188