Kidney Cancer Canada (KCC) is a patient support and advocacy organized formed in 2006. KCC is a federally incorporated non-profit, non-charitable organization whose mission is to support kidney cancer patients and their families across Canada by providing information about the disease and treatment choices. KCC also plays a significant role in advocating for access to new therapies for kidney cancer.
KCC is seeking a part-time Executive Director. The Executive Director will report to the Chair and Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and serve as the chief liaison between our organization, the public, and the medical community.
The Executive Director is responsible for the functional operation of the entire nonprofit organization, including fund development, strategic planning, programs, finance, and advancing the mission of KCC. S/he is responsible, with the Chair and Vice-Chair, for recruiting high-level board members from across Canada. Some responsibilities include:
- Assuming a leadership role in the organization, maintaining volunteers' focus on the mission of the organization.
- Assisting the Board in developing and reaching KCC's goals, and short-term and long-range strategic planning
- Oversight and development of program goals and objectives, including patient education meetings, patient/caregiver outreach and support.
- Managing fund development and budgeting. Formulating and reviewing financial activities and performance.
- Working with the Board to acquire new sources of long-term, sustainable funding.
KCC is seeking an Executive Director with the following experience:
- a minimum of five years of leadership experience with a community service organization, foundation, health care provider or other nonprofit organization in the health sector;
- at least two years experience and a proven track record in fundraising and/or grants administration;
- Experience in the management and administration of an organization with operating budgets of $150K+, providing reports and maintaining records as required;
- Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors, providing executive support for planning, policy development and decision-making;
- Able to register as an officer of the corporation, and register provincially and federally as a lobbyist on behalf of KCC;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including writing for the web, for media, and for submissions to government;
- A relevant Bachelor's degree is required, although equivalent work experience will be considered. Specialization in nonprofit administration, business management, community development or a health-related field is a plus;
- Bilingual communication skills (English/French) would be a definite asset.
The ideal candidate will possess the interpersonal skills to support a patient-centred organization that engages volunteers and patients in working toward KCC goals. The Executive Director should have demonstrable experience building cooperative relationships with other organizations, medical professionals and with government, media, funders and individual supporters.
This part-time position will be ideal for a self-starting individual who can work from a home-based office for 10-20 hours per week. KCC offers a one-year flexible contract, salary commensurate with experience, but without benefits. The one-year contract is renewable (contingent on funding).
For the past year, KCC has provided emotional support, education and hope to people with kidney cancer and their loved ones, and is now poised for a period of major growth. The successful candidate will have the satisfaction of guiding this young organization through its next ambitious phase.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to:
Mr. Tony Clark
Chair, Kidney Cancer Canada
2000 The Collegeway, Unit 30 Mississauga ON L5L 5Y9