File # 08-30
Duration: approximately thirteen (13) months
he Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of public health services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking health professional striving for excellence and seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this contract opportunity at Peel Health within our Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division.
As an active member of the Healthy Eating and Physical Activity team, you will plan, develop, implement, and evaluate health promotion policies, practices and programs related to physical activity promotion and childhood obesity prevention. You will ensure that recommended initiatives and programs are based in best practices, current research and are responsive to community needs. Working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team environment, you will provide consultation to the public, staff, community partners (school boards, parent councils, local parks and recreation departments etc.) and other professionals regarding health promotion strategies and best practices specific to physical activity promotion for children and youth and childhood obesity prevention strategies. As well, you will develop educational materials and apply health promotion principles and strategies to program planning and policy development in collaboration with key stakeholders in order to effectively meet Mandatory Programs and Services Guidelines.
If you possess:
- a University degree in Health Promotion or related health field combined with 1 to 3 years related experience in program development, implementation, and evaluation
- knowledge of the Mandatory Program and Services Guidelines, specifically in the area of active living
- familiarity with key theoretical models of health education and health promotion and evaluation
- ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- strong analytical skills to interpret and apply data
- excellent social marketing and public relations skills to effectively promote healthy lifestyles to target groups
- knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS projects, or Microsoft Outlook would be considered an asset
- an ability to travel to various regional locations and able to work some evenings and weekends, we would like to hear form you.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- a salary range from $55,142 - $68,928
- a comprehensive benefit package
- a high tech environment
- mentoring and coaching
- a family orientated environment
- a healthy workplace - direct links to management and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To pursue this challenging opportunity, please submit your application online to http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs and select Health Promotion Officer, Healthy Eating & Physical Activity (Public Health) File # 08-30. The position is located at 9445 Airport Road in Brampton and it closes on February 5, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.