Job ID # HRC 08-0102
Sherbourne Health Centre is a free-standing health centre funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. The Centre provides innovative primary health care to all the diverse populations of southeast Toronto with special focus on homeless people, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual and transgendered communities, and newcomers to Canada.
Based at Toronto's Sherbourne Health Centre, the Ontario Rainbow Health Resource Centre is a new health promotion initiative designed to enhance the health and well-being of Ontario's diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer (LGBTQ) communities. The Resource Centre will make use of community development and educational strategies, internet technology and partnerships to promote welcoming, knowledgeable health and social services for LGBTQ people throughout Ontario.
We are presently looking for a Full Time Website & Communications Coordinator for the Ontario Rainbow Health Resource Centre to join our team. The Coordinator will suport the development of local community-based health promotion strategies in the 14 Local Health Integration Network(LHIN) areas of
Ontario. They will also provide consultation to community members, professionals and organizations on LGBT health and social issues, current knowledge and culturally competent care.
Shared Focus: Community Development and Health Promotion
- Work with local representatives, community groups and organizations in each LHIN to assess strengths, gaps and capacity regarding LGBTQ health and well-being.
- Support development of local community-based health promotion strategies, e.g. surveys, program partnerships, advocacy work.
- Provide consultation and/or training to community members, professionals and policy makers on LGBTQ health and social issues, current knowledge, culturally competent care
- Research and synthesize information to create high quality written materials in a variety of styles for websites, newsletters, data bases, media, etc.
- Participate in the planning, promotion and facilitation of semi-annual Regional Advisors' Meetings and bi-annual Provincial Conference
Special Focus: Website and Communications
- Work with website developer to maintain a sh fre , comprehensive and interactive website accessible to service providers, academics, LGBTQQ communities, and the general public.
- Develop outreach tools and promotional materials to encourage broad participation in the Resource Centre.
- Organize systems and protocols to enable regular database updates, use of discussion boards, web-based training, etc.
- Source and develop distribution system for on-line and print resources
- Education at a Masters Level in Social or Health Sciences plus at least 3 years' Knowledge of the health and social issues faced by diverse communities in Ontario
- Excellent interpersonal skills: verbal and written communication; ability to motivate; problem-solve; and handle conflict.
- Ability to take on multiple responsibilities and to manage tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of anti-oppression principles and appreciation/understanding of the geographic, ethno-racial and social diversity of Ontario's LGBTQ populations.
- Demonstrated software skills (MS Office, E-mail, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Valid driver's license
- Fluency in languages besides English an asset, especially French.
- Experience in web-site writing and maintenance, communications for the non-profit sector, media relations
We are committed to working within an anti-oppression framework and welcome applicants who bring experience and knowledge of the geographic, ethno-racial and social diversity of Ontario.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including participation in the Hospital of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) and professional development.
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID #RC 08-0102 by February 11, 2008 via one of the method below:
E-mail: [email protected]
Mail or Drop - off
Sherbourne Health Centre
333 Sherbourne Street
Toronto ON M5A 2S5
Visit our website at http://www.sherbourne.on.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.