One-year, full-time contract, with the possibility of renewal
Department: Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Posted Date: September 8, 2008
Closing Date: October 3, 2009
Hours of Work:
Currently, 8:30 - 4:30, Monday to Friday (subject to change). Because of the nature of position, the candidate must be flexible to work additional hours as required.
Based at Mount Sinai Hospital, the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care (TLCPC) is one of Canada's largest centres for palliative care. Our patient care, education and research activities all strive to ensure quality end-of-life care for people living with a terminal illness, allowing them to die with dignity and in comfort.
Our Max and Beatrice Wolfe Centre for Children's Grief and Palliative Care (MBWCC) is the only specialized centre in Ontario that offers counseling support and medical care for dying and grieving children and families in both home and agency settings. We also educate and support children and their families who have a loved one who is dying or has died. As leaders in the field of children's grief and pediatric palliative care, we also provide consultation and education sessions for health professionals, teachers and boards of education.
This full-time position provides the academic and service leadership for the Max and Beatrice Wolfe Children's Centre, and reports to the Director of the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care. This position has service, administrative, supervisory and academic responsibilities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design, implement, manage and evaluate all clinical programs and administrative systems of the Max and Bea Centre
- Maintain a clinical case load
- Monitor and ensure that professional standards are maintained by the Centre (e.g., clinical, record-keeping, privacy, child protection standards)
- Actively participate in the development, implementation, management and evaluation of strategic and work planning initiatives of the Temmy Latner Centre
- Provide clinical and administrative supervision of the counsellors and administrative staff of the Max & Bea Centre
- Actively promote collaboration and a close working relationship between MBWCC and other disciplines both within the Latner Centre and the community
- Participate in fundraising activities and donor relations
- Develop, implement and evaluate a knowledge transfer program in children's grief initially for the Greater Toronto Area but eventually as a provincial/national resource
- A minimum of a Masters degree in Social Work, Clinical Psychology or other relevant counseling field
- Demonstrated knowledge, competency and recent experience providing:
- o individual, family and/or group support, counseling and psychotherapy to children, youth, and adults who are experiencing a terminal illness or who have experienced a death
- pediatric palliative care
- care for children and families who have experienced sudden, traumatic or complex bereavement
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative skills within a clinical environment, including planning, budgeting and systems development
- Excellent interpersonal skills that allow a high degree of ability to function as a leader and a collaborative team member
- Commitment to work cooperatively in a community-based setting as part of an interdisciplinary team of clinical and administrative staff and volunteers
- Understanding of and experience in developing and providing diversified clinical service programs and program infrastructure within a rapidly expanding clinical agency environment
- Knowledge of relevant health, privacy and child protection legislation, and best practice
- Understanding of and experience in developing and providing undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs for health professionals
- Ongoing membership in the College of Social Work or similar professional college or governing body
- Proficiency with computer programs, including Microsoft Office
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume directly to:
Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Joseph and Wolfe Lebovic Centre
60 Murray Street, 4th Floor, Box #13
Toronto, ON M5T 3L9
We thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
No phone calls please.